The 4th Michigan Infantry was one of the most feared and respected Union regiments who fought in the Civil War. They served in the Army of the Potomac from 1861 to 1864 they mustered out of service on June 29, 1864 at Detroit, Michigan. The 4th was reorganized and sent to the Western theatre that same year. They were mustered out of service in Houston, Texas in 1866. The Records show that a total of 146 Canadians served in the 4th Michigan or roughly 10 % of the Regiments total enrolment. From 1861 to 1862 the Regiment wore a unique Québécois style cloth cap referred to as the “Canada Cap”. Members of the A.C.W.H.R.S. have decided to portray this Company of the 4th Michigan because of its brave history and strong Canadian involvement.
The famous Civil War Artist Don Trioini’s captures the 4th heroism in his painting “Saving the Flag”. This painting depicts the battle of the Wheat field at Gettysburg on 2 July 1863, showing Colonel Jeffords commanding the 4th Michigan Regiment fighting for possession of a Confederate regimental standard. In this battle, he was killed while trying to prevent his unit’s standard from falling to a Confederate soldier. He was the only regimental commander actually killed with a bayonet.
The Units uniform standards are mid-war. A dark blue Sack coat and sky blue pants and Forage cap. Their foot drill and manual of arms are based on Casey’s Infantry Tactics.
The Fourth Michigan Infantry was recruited from the southern tier of counties of Michigan State, being organized by Colonel Dwight A. Woodberry at Adrian. Like many other Michigan regiments its shared border with Canada ensured the addition of many Canadian recruits and the shared border with Canada West (Ontario) facilitated the active recruitment by Michigan regiments. The 4th Michigan Regiment was composed of the "Peninsular Guard" (COMPANY ‘C’) of Sturgis, the "Barry Guard" of Ann Arbor, the "Smith Guard" of Monroe, the "Trenton Volunteers" of Trenton, the "Dexter Union Guard" of Dexter, the "Hudson Volunteers" of Hillsdale, the "Grosvenor Union Guard" of Jonesville, and the "Tecumseh Volunteers" of Tecumseh. The organization of the Regiment was completed at its rendezvous in Adrian, and then mustered into the United States service for three years on June 20, 1861.
The 4th Michigan, Company ‘C’ is currently commanded by the very capable Captain Erik Simundson formally of Her most gracious Majesty Regiment, The Queens Own Rifles of Canada.
For further Information on becoming a member of the 4th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Company ‘C’And the opportunity to see “The Elephant” with this crack unit; Please write to: 1 Bromton Drive, Scarborough, Ontario M1P 4B7 or email firstname.lastname@example.org